Monday, January 05, 2009

Sweet Tooth


Is your new year's resolution to eat more candy? Then you should visit Candyland in Cumberland! We did. The store is really called 'The Fruit Bowl' but inside it's filled with candy (and a little produce). We brought our son, Forrest there who is nearly 21 but not too old to have his eyes bug out at all the dreamy candy. You just grab a bag and start filling it. They charge by the pound and by the looks of some of their customers, they've moved a tons of candy.


There's old favorites, like Smartarts, Milk Duds, candy necklaces, Necco's (ick!), Mike & Ike's, candy buttons, candy cigarettes (were'nt we cool?) and new ones like Shock Tarts, Sour Patch Kids, and liquid sweet in plastic. Remember going to the movies and getting a box of Milk Duds for 5 cents?!!!! Yea, I'm old. My little town in South Dakota where I grew up, had free Saturday matinees at the only theatre in town. It had velvet seats and velvet curtains. Our folks would drop us off (or we walked downtown) while they shopped. We saw Ma and Pa Kettle, the Lone Ranger, Lassie episodes and National Velvet.



WE made it out of there with just 1 pound of candy. Forrest is eating the entire pound, I swear!


The holiday display of cakes at the local bakery in Cumberland is always the best.






But I'm done with all that. On to my new life of no sugar and plenty of foods on the bottom tier of the food pyramid. Happy New Year!

http://dietmotion.com/images/food-pyramid.jpg

1 comment:

just me said...

The fruit market is one of my favorite places! I stopped there almost every trip through since I was a kid. They have a special licorice drop I still can't find anywhere else.