Wednesday, July 09, 2014

My Knees Just Have to Keep Up!



I have 1200 songs on my new iPod, 5 books downloaded on my iPad, my new bike is on it's way to Portland and my bags are packed with all the gear I need for 3 weeks of biking on this little road they call the Pacific Coast Highway. I am soooo excited but I have to admit that this could be a challenge. It's up and it's down and it's up and down some more. There are logging trucks and RV's and hopefully every driver is looking out for me on my bike. Houston and our friend, Sue, will be biking over 700 miles, camping along the way. We're carrying all our gear, but luckily we won't have to carry much food as there are places to eat along the way. It's recommended that we try to get out of camp by 6:30 and not to bike if there's fog. Luckily the temperatures are typically in the 60's during the day and low 50's at night. 

We're flying into Portland where we'll (Houston) be assembling our bikes, putting on the panniers, bags, bells, whistles, mirrors, lights and making everything comfy for the ride. I had to ship my bike out before I was able to do a test pack to see if everything would fit. So I'm flying by the seat of my pants here and hoping what I plan on bringing is going to fit. My knees have been hurting even before I begin biking 60 miles a day. I'm a pretty good sucker-upperer and ibuprofen does wonders, so my knees better behave themselves. I'm better on a bike than I am walking so that's good. 

We're finishing up at Half Moon Bay at a (surprise!) brew pub where hopefully
 Houston's brother will pick us up.

To make it even more confusing, Sue and I are flying from San Jose to Seattle to spend time with some friends in their condo right on the water. So we have to ship our 'clothes-that-don't-look-like-we've-been-wearing-them-every-day-for-3-weeks' from Portland to Los Altos (where Houston's brother lives).  
I've never had such a hard time picking!

Since I can't go anywhere without my knitting, I paired down to two projects. One for biking and one for everything else. I'm knitting the Wingspan out of my Sock Hop yarn (new color way!) and Saranac out of Hustle (another new color way!).
So, I'm not taking my Mac with me :( and am using my iPhone for photos and updating. I like to keep a journal, and this is a good way to do that. 
I got an invoice yesterday with a happy little sticker on it. It read, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!" True that!!!!

No comments: